Pages

Feb 28, 2009

Dog Gone It!


"Brodie" - 24" x 24" - oil

I've been meaning to post this painting for a couple of months now. This is my misunderstood dog Brodie taking a short nap after a rousing game of fetch with her favorite tennis ball. I'm often disappointed when I come across sub par attempts at pet portraits. Don't they deserve our best effort as artists. Since I didn't want to be among the sub par I decided to take a look at the work of Tracey Clarke. I met Tracey, who primarily paints animals, at a show last year and was quite taken with her approach. I'd consider this painting to be one of my more cherished works. Brodie and I have had our share of adventures (the finger story) but at the end of the day, after she gets her treat, she's an awesome dog.

4 comments:

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Hi Steven,

You certainly did a wonderful job of doing Brodie justice in this painting. Great work. I have three basset hounds; obviously I'm a dog lover!

And I envy you in meeting Tracey in person. I think she is a wonderfully talented artist and we follow each others blogs. One day, I hope to have Tracey do a portrait of our bassets. Her work is phenomenal.

Again, so glad you captured your awesome dog in a painting too!

Best wishes,
Kathleen

Tracey Clarke said...

I love this, Steven. I keep coming back to it trying to think of something special to say. It really is a beautiful painting. What a great capture of comfort and rest, too.....

Cheryl Anderson said...

This is a beautiful painting. I love the colors, and the composition is great--you must have gotten her face in the perfect "golden mean" position.

I have a painting of my dog that died a few years back. You will always be glad you painted this!!

L.Holm said...

Poetic. Intimate. Nostalgic. Perfect.
You're amazing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...