Pages

Jul 28, 2008

The Cautious Ninja

Super Duper Chocolate Eruption - 13" x 36" - oil

A couple of years ago I was on a study tour with Marywood University for my graduate studies. During the tour, one of our guest speakers was illustrator Roberto Parada. A few years prior, he was diagnosed with Severe Aplastic Anemia (bone marrow failure) which sidelined him for quite a while and required several blood transfusions. The heavy exposure to Benzene (included in several oil painting mediums) was most likely the cause to his illness.

Although there are now non toxic mineral oils for cleaning brushes Roberto suggested using baby oil as a paint thinner. My eyebrow raised in a most curious manner. Since I'd rather meet my end through defending my ladies honor in a no holds barred ninja fight or even while wrestling a polar bear than bone marrow failure, I thought I'd give this baby oil thing a try. The transition has been incredibly easy and I will post the results of my efforts soon.


Plug: The Evelyn Davis photography show will open this coming Friday, August 1st at the Fredericksburg Center for the Creative Arts

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...