Pages

Feb 27, 2011

Tripping Out

"Untitled Triptych" (study) - 6x12" each

When I'm in the painting zone I rarely think about posting images of pieces in progress.  Part of this is because a majority of my paintings as of late are not that large.  The other part is that the painting process just flies by when I'm on a roll.  The painting that is currently on the easel / easels is a little different.

With some pressure / encouragement from Evelyn to paint larger, I decided to try painting a 48" x 72" triptych.  Triptych: a set of three panels side by side, bearing pictures.  Because of this intimidating size I thought that some preparation would be helpful.  The painting above is the study for the larger pieces.

I haven't painted anything this large since I worked on a set of children's themed murals in Virginia.  In theory this venture seemed fun but there were a couple of  logistical issues , such as size and the crappy state of my studio, that posed complications.  So I turned our living room into a temporary studio.

Below are a few photos to show scale and the start.  Stay tuned for more.

Left:  Used C-Clamps to hold the three 24 x 48" canvases together
Right:  Photo of the set up in the living room         

Loose sketch in Radiant Turquoise to get started.

2 comments:

Douglas Hoover said...

Steven...

Very impressive, man! Thanks for sharing your progress on this one!!

Ok, I'm gonna shuffle back to my once-huge-but-now-seems-small 24x48" canvas now...

D.

Ben Bensen III said...

Yes, the two pieces I did for the Air Force was the biggest I've worked since school days. I was painting them in the garage most of July and August, which is not good months to do anything without an AC, so Tee suggested I use the kitchen breakfast nook as a temporary studio. Working as small as I do normally, 3'x 4'is immense.

You have my sympathy, dude! Don't spill anything on the carpet, man!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...